About Me

My photo
I am a cross trained higher education professional and experiential educator. I am interested in these intersections and how they can be utilized to create a world in which more people see success in their lives. I am an individual committed to positive change in the world. + ∞ Δ

Monday, May 31, 2010

Moving In, Issues of World Peace & Environmental Concerns as well as abuse of power.

Alright, so it's been a while since I have last updated, and thus have a few things to say!

First off, when I first moved in, the cook here started taking me on hikes around the area, mostly in the Delaware Water Gap Rec Area. Here are two pictures from these excursions. The one is from an overlook (I can't remember where) the other is a picture of a doe that was just chillin and let us drive, yes, I said drive right up to her from the road. Crazy!




The job is pretty stellar. We had a group last week of about 280 students and parents from central Jersey. It was crazy in some ways, but the students were soo sweet. I ended up doing the Dam Rappel most of the time as that is all I had been trained on up till that point. I also lead my first night hike, which the other facilitators that went with my group said it was really good, so I was very happy with that.

This week, we have two more groups, one I will preform support for, the other I will not only stay with the group in the cabin but co-facilitate/shadow my roommate, Claire during the program. I am very excited for this.

The next topic is one that the world is aware of, the gulf oil spill. This is disgusting. I wish we could just move to a more sustainable and clean alternative energy source. What is also bothersome is the fact that there are other things going on in the world that are being all but ignored. For those that haven't heard, there is a big event happening in Gaza.
http://tinyurl.com/27z6lcm
Click there for some recent stories. There are, of course, as to any story, two sides, however this is also disgusting and needs to stop now. As a man of Jewish descent I must say that I am beginning to more and more find the politics of Israel horrible. This needs to stop and the world, America especially, needs to say enough is enough. There needs to be a fair solution taking both sides into account.

Now, on to more unfair abuse of power and imperialism. I got pulled over today on my way home. I was driving up 206N doing the speed limit, seat belt buckled and everything else all legal. Promise. The guy rolls up to my window and all he says is "What's the story with the tinted windows and exhaust" He took my info and went back to his car and then after he ran my info, and instead of bringing it back to me, signaled me to come to his car and get the info back. Once I got it back he drove away.

Several times I have been profiled in my car based on the exhaust and tint and all. They usually drive away once they see me. This makes me sick. This time however he didn't drive away, but I could see the shock in his eyes once he saw me. This only reaffirms the fact that I generally don't like most cops. Far too often the exercise a supreme abuse of power, and it bothers me. I'm bovvered, as my dear friend likes to say.

I like to try to end on a happy note. My brother is going to freshman orientation next weekend, which is exciting for me due to my experience in Higher Ed and so many of my dear friends off doing NODA internships this summer and because, well he's going to college soon! Sooo cool. Also, there is a party for my roommates birthday next Saturday which will be fun! My father's birthday is next Sunday and he and his girlfriend are coming to visit me for lunch and a lil bit of a hike. I think I will take them on the Van Campens Glen hike. Oh well.

If you lasted this long, kudos to you!

Talk to you soon kiddos!

No comments:

Post a Comment