About Me

My photo
I am a cross trained higher education professional and experiential educator. I am interested in these intersections and how they can be utilized to create a world in which more people see success in their lives. I am an individual committed to positive change in the world. + ∞ Δ

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Bias


Something that has occurred to me for a number of years now, but something that I want to get in writing is my musings on the thoughts of diversity and bias. For those of you that don't know, I have worked for the past two years as a social justice educator. One of the aspects of this job is to encourage folks to confront their own privilege and bias and do a self-inventory and examine where they are in this regard. This is where it begins to get a bit tricky.

Part of social justice is an appreciation of diversity of people and of thought. If we are to truly appreciate a diverse array of folks (which I claim to love) can I fully embrace the diverse array of people when that includes people who have no appreciation for anyone besides themselves and people who look/act/believe like themselves? Racists, misogynists, misandrists, heterosexists, classists, etc?

Is this my bias? If I am to challenge folks to identify and challenge their biases, but can't accept those who revel in or even don't identify and recognize their own biases, does that make me as challenged as those folks? I guess this blog just got real deep real fast. This is a discussion I have had several times with a supervisor/mentor. I can't seem to come up with a conclusion. Can I teach diversity and acceptance if I don't accept those who won't accept others?

2 comments:

  1. This came up in Ideas class this semester. Someone mentioned what most would consider a "conservative" view and most in the class listened intently to this person's view. I think no matter your views if you are truly open to EVERYONE you have to be open to listening to those you would consider bias. One student shook his head and was pretty disrespectful while this "conservative" view was expressed. I would say I respect this person less because of their inability to just LISTEN to someone else express their views, what if that was a student???!? I say you don't have to embrace the view of everyone just their differences!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grace,

    I completely understand where you are coming from. I am not so much talking about a "Conservative" vs. a "liberal" vs. a "whatever" viewpoint as much as someone who is completely racist and derogatory. Everyone knows that your office mate and I do not agree on politics whatsoever, yet we still get along. One of the best political dialogues involved Mo and Adrienne, both folks who do not shared my views.

    This is not a political problem, more one of respect. I could give a damn about your political views as long as you have the basic decency for all human beings.

    Make more sense?

    ReplyDelete